[Distutils] warning about potential problem for wheels

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Oct 14 12:40:48 CEST 2015

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:59:05 -0700
Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> So even is SSE2 provides little for Python itself, in the usual case, we'll
> see performance hits n compiled extensions that are not compiled by
> particularly smart people.

Since the question is only for 32-bit builds, does this even matter?
32-bit builds on x86 generally bring you poorer performance by
themselves, as the CPU has only access to 8 general-purpose registers
(instead of 16) in that mode.  If you want better performance (or want
to efficiently address 3+GB of RAM, which is an extremely common
situation nowadays), you probably want 64-bit builds.

Regards

Antoine.