[Distutils] PyPi not allowing duplicate filenames

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:59:25 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Dave Forgac <tylerdave at tylerdave.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This was discussed recently here:
>> https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues/74
>>

> and on this list at other times. Though the above issue was pretty focused
> on restoring a deleted file without any changes -- which seems like a
> no-brainer to me, as long as someone wants to put the effort into the
> infrastructure.
>
> (the soft delete option seems like a good idea to me).
>
> But I'm talking about the cases of "whoops! I really wish I hadn't
> uploaded that one". We can improve the tooling (some discussion on this in
> this thread right now...), but people are people and some of us are stupid
> and/or careless. So this WILL happen.
>
> And it just seems pedantic to say: hey -- you've already put that one
> there -- maybe even two minutes ago, so there is NO WAY to fix your
> mistake. If it happens quickly, then no one has downloaded it, it hasn't
> made its way to the mirrors, etc...

It is not pendantic, for reasons mentioned by Donald.

I have not done numpy releases for half a decade now, but it was already
automated enough that putting a new version was not very costly then. And
you did not have travis-ci, appveyor, tox, ubiquitous AWS 5 years ago ...

I am sure there are things we can do to improve numpy's release process to
avoid this in the future.

David