[Distutils] PyPi not allowing duplicate filenames

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 15 00:23:54 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But I'm talking about the cases of "whoops! I really wish I hadn't
>> uploaded that one". We can improve the tooling (some discussion on this in
>> this thread right now...), but people are people and some of us are stupid
>> and/or careless. So this WILL happen.
>>

> I have not done numpy releases for half a decade now, but it was already
>> automated enough that putting a new version was not very costly then.

yeah, I suppose releases are cheap -- though part of the problem is that
your users are likley to think that you actually fixed a bug or something.
And maybe wonder why you went from 1.2.3 to 1.3.5 seemingly all at once...

another note-- conda has teh concetp of a "build" that's tacked on teh
release for conda pacakges.

So if I updated somethign about how teh packge is buitl, but am using teh
same underllying version of teh package, I update teh build number, get a
new "version" of the package, but it's clear that the pacakge itself is the
same version.

for instance, I'm messing around right now with building libgd for conda,
and the latest version I have up on anaconda.org is:

libgd-2.1.1

but the actual file is:

libgd-2.1.1-1.tar.bz2

(and there is a libgd-2.1.1-0.tar.bz2 there too...)

Maybe this would be helpful for PyPi, too?

I am sure there are things we can do to improve numpy's release process to
> avoid this in the future.

numpy was just an example -- we are all likely to make mistakes in the
future - it's human nature.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov