[Distutils] Remove distutils, was: red, green, refactor ...

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:29:17 CEST 2015

The strategy that we are successfully pursuing is to standardize around
file formats that the build tools generate and the installers and runtime
can consume. For example we can convert a setuptools egg or a bdist_wininst
.exe to a wheel, and in the future we will be able to convert e-mail style
PKG-INFO to json. It's much easier to test whether a tool is producing
correct metadata than to decide whether the API is compatible.