[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:32:55 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Ronny Pfannschmidt <
opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:

> why does that have to be in setuptools ?!
>
> if we want a new light system to begin with, shouldn't it be far more
> sustainable to use just implementations of the new standards rather than
> leaving all of setuptools
>
> there is no viable way in setuptools to get rid of the legacy ina sane and
> fast manner, it would drag out over years

agreed. I have never met a person who had to deal substantially with
distutils code and enjoyed the experience.

The whole architecture is fundamentally flawed. I wrote this a long time
ago, but I still stand by most arguments:
https://cournape.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/python-packaging-a-few-observations-cabal-for-a-solution/

David