[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 14:29:17 EDT 2015

We're not just grumpy, we have seen The One Build System idea tried several
times with bad results. Instead, if you have the inclination, time, and
ability, you could try to build a new competing build system like
http://flit.readthedocs.org/ did, or you could help try to figure out how
to improve support for said competing build systems in pip, or you could
even try to make a pip replacement that is better for distributing end-user
applications. Ideally one of these new build systems will be compelling
enough that new packages will choose to use it instead of distutils in the
same way that people choose Django over the cgi module.