[Distutils] PEP 527 - Removing Un(der)used file types/extensions on PyPI

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:54:07 EDT 2016

On 25 August 2016 at 16:46, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> The Windows ones can also include code which is only relevant
> on Windows while the Unix one includes parts that are only used
> on Unix, so having two sets (ZIP for Windows and .tar.gz for Unix)
> is a natural way to distribute your source code for those two
> target systems.

> Standardizing on two sdist formats is fine, but artificially
> limiting this to just one sdist upload removes useful
> functionality.

While I can't speak for others, I would be extremely confused (and
annoyed) if 2 sdist files for the same release of a single Python
package, using different archive formats, contained different
contents. I'm not aware of any package on PyPI that does this [1], and
I'd hope that remains the case (which it will, trivially, under the
new proposal to only allow one sdist file per release).

Paul

[1] If there are any, I'd be happy to file a bug report against them ;-)