[Distutils] abstract build system PEP update

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:48:01 EST 2016

On 18 February 2016 at 07:30, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 February 2016 at 21:01, Nathaniel Smith <njs at vorpus.org> wrote:
> > On Feb 17, 2016 4:44 AM, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >> You could say that using twine to handle the uploading is a thing people
> >> should
> >> do (and I agree!) but that currently relies on having static metadata
> >> inside of
> >> the sdist that twine can parse, static metadata that isn't going to
> exist
> >> if
> >> you just simply tarball up a directory on disk.
> >
> > Ah-ha, this is useful. The reason this hasn't been considered, at least
> in
> > my proposal, is that I think this is the first I've heard that there is
> > anything that cares about what's in an sdist besides setup.py :-).
>
> Yes, twine is a good, concrete example.

I believe tools like pyp2rpm, conda skeleton, py2dsc and fpm also rely on
that static sdist metadata (I'm not 100% sure on that, but it would make
sense for them to do so).

We just spend so much time worrying about the dependency management
problems that PKG-INFO *doesn't* handle that we forget the simpler
descriptive metadata that it covers accurately :)

Cheers,
Nick.