[Distutils] PyPI index workaround

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 14 10:44:19 EDT 2016

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 5:30 AM, Михаил Голубев <qsolo825 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, you convinced me that these extra requests from PyCharm won't cause you any problems. Impressive stats, by the way :)
>
> We will focus on migrating our packaging-related features to these new endpoints; hopefully, it won't take long. Note, however, that we need to prepare updates for already released versions of PyCharm. We'll let you know as soon as everything is ready.
>
> Ernest W. Durbin III suggested changing User-Agent, so that it's clear which requests come from PyCharm. To me it seems a fair point.
>
> Batch API, as mentioned by Steve Dower, are very welcome, anyway. Also "/simple" index is still HTML page. Honestly, it's a bit cumbersome that this information can be received only by scraping HTML and for everything else there are JSON REST API and XML-RPC.

Yea, I plan on a new “next gen” API in Warehouse at some point that will be much cleaner overall and not require multiple different formats to use :). For the record, XML-RPC should be avoided where possible as well, we also can’t cache that in the CDN (because it’s a POST request to the same URL for all routes, and the CDN can’t inspect the body of a POST request to determine cache key).

> Is anyone from PyPA attending to EuroPython next week? We could discuss these matters further there.

I’m not. I’m not sure if anyone else is.

—
Donald Stufft