[Distutils] PyPI index workaround

Михаил Голубев qsolo825 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:21:59 EDT 2016

Well, it isn't that bandwidth intensive, these recent changes only cause
extra (but tiny and potentially faster) requests to PyPI. We've also
decided to update versions of packages only once a day unless user
explicitly forced refreshing of packages list. If PyPI is not available for
some reason, e.g. due to network problems, we merely don't show package
versions, it won't break any other IDE functionality.

> OT: I hope you're going to provide a setting to allow the user to disable
> this unnecessary and bandwith intensive 'feature'?
>
> -Matt
>
> From: "Михаил Голубев" <qsolo825 at gmail.com>
> To: Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io>
> Cc: Dmitry Trofimov <dmitry.trofimov at jetbrains.com>,
> distutils-sig at python.org
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 23:21:24 +0300
> Subject: Re: [Distutils] PyPI index workaround
> Right, sorry, that initial question wasn't clear about that.
>
> We need the latest versions only for installed packages. Nonetheless, as
> you noted, it's still several dozens consecutive requests to
> "/simple/<package_name>" for each PyCharm session of every user.
>
> Can you handle that?

Best regards
Mikhail Golubev