[Distutils] Outdated packages on pypi

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:45:02 EDT 2016

On 20 July 2016 at 01:41, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
> A view producing JSONLD.
>
> Probably right about here:
> https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/blob/master/warehouse/packaging/views.py

Then stop trying to guilt other people into implementing JSON-LD
support for you, and submit a patch to implement it yourself.

Requirements:

- zero additional learning overhead for newcomers to Python packaging
- near-zero additional maintenance overhead for tooling maintainers
that don't care about the semantic web

If you can meet those requirements, then your rationale of "package
dependencies are a linked graph represented as JSON, so we might as
well support expressing them as JSON-LD" applies. Your best bet for
that would likely be to make it an optional Warehouse feature (e.g. an
alternate endpoint that adds the JSON-LD metadata), rather than a
formal part of the interoperability specifications.

If you find you can't make it unobtrusive and optional, then you'd be
proving my point that introducing JSON-LD adds further cognitive
overhead to an already complicated system for zero practical gain to
the vast majority of users of that system.

Regards,
Nick.