[Distutils] Outdated packages on pypi

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 00:13:03 EDT 2016

I think you're right that we should identify the stakeholders here.

Which clients consume PyPI JSON?

@dstufft
Is there a User Agent report for the PyPI and the warehouse legacy JSON
views?

... https://code.activestate.com/lists/python-distutils-sig/25457/

Are there still pending metadata PEPs that would also need to be
JSONLD-ified?

https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/blob/master/warehouse/packaging/views.py

> Then stop trying to guilt other people into implementing JSON-LD
> support for you, and submit a patch to implement it yourself.
>
> Requirements:
>
> - zero additional learning overhead for newcomers to Python packaging

Should be transparent to the average bear.

> - near-zero additional maintenance overhead for tooling maintainers
> that don't care about the semantic web

Is it of value to link CVE reports with the package metadata?

> If you can meet those requirements, then your rationale of "package
> dependencies are a linked graph represented as JSON, so we might as
> well support expressing them as JSON-LD" applies. Your best bet for
> that would likely be to make it an optional Warehouse feature (e.g. an
> alternate endpoint that adds the JSON-LD metadata), rather than a
> formal part of the interoperability specifications.

- Another cached view

> If you find you can't make it unobtrusive and optional, then you'd be
> proving my point that introducing JSON-LD adds further cognitive
> overhead to an already complicated system for zero practical gain to
> the vast majority of users of that system.

There are a number of additional value propositions and use cases here:
https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/issues/31

When I find the time