[Distutils] Basic Markdown Readme Support

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Tue May 3 09:18:31 EDT 2016

My perspective, for what it's worth, is that while I find Markdown a
horrible pain, there are a lot of people who pick it up before picking
up Python, and tools like GitHub and BitBucket  encourage (and make it
easier to add) README.md to a project. For someone who isn't familiar
with reStructuredText, it's an easier on-ramp.

So while I'm all for encouraging developers to prefer
reStructuredText, I'm in favor of supporting Markdown as a
long_description format. The format for a README file just doesn't
seem such a big deal that alienating potential community members is
worth it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein