[Distutils] Distutils improvements regarding header installation and building C extension modules

Sylvain Corlay sylvain.corlay at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:07:07 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Tim Smith <tim at tim-smith.us> wrote:

> As a Homebrew maintainer this sounds like something that Homebrew
> could influence. Are there any packages in the wild that use this
> mechanism? It seems that headers are mostly installed beneath
> site-packages. I don't have strong feelings about whether Homebrew
> should have better support for install_headers or whether that would
> be straightforward to implement but IIRC we've had no prior reports of
> this causing trouble.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Thanks Tim,

The OS X python install is the only one I know of where headers installed
with the install_headers command are not placed in a subdirectory of
`sys.config('include')`. Besides, `pip.locations.distutils_scheme` returns
the right include directory even in the case of homebrew.

My point here was that this pip.locations function should probably be a
feature of distutils itself. Although I would probably not have discovered
the need for it if homebrew was placing extra headers in the same place as
everyone else !

I don't think that using the package_data to place headers under
site-package is the right thing to do in general. Then you need to rely on
some python function to return the include directory...

Sylvain