[Distutils] CentOS5 is EOL, impact on manylinux1?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Apr 5 01:59:31 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 April 2017 at 11:12, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Bruno Alexandre Rosa
>> <bruno.rosa at eldorado.org.br> wrote:
>>> We would be very glad to help adding ppc support for manylinux3 :)
>>
>> I guess if we're going ahead and doing manylinux3 now, then we can
>> probably roll in ppc support as part of the same process?
>
> That was my main feedback on the draft manylinux3-for-ppc64le PEP:
> it's so close to also covering the manylinux1 architectures that it
> seems more sensible to me to just go ahead and fully define
> manylinux3, rather than only doing the ppc64le bits and then needing
> to somehow impose architecture restrictions at the PyPI and
> installation tool level.

Well, manylinux1 is spec'ed to be x86_64 and i686 only, and we already
implemented the supported architectures list in pip:

  https://github.com/pypa/pip/blob/491294f61e37d766720aead97b4fb008cfc2e51d/pip/pep425tags.py#L146

so that part's not a big deal either way, but it's certainly more
efficient to share all the spec and tooling work :-)

>> The one
>> major hiccup is that our current Travis-CI-based build pipeline won't
>> work for ppc, but there's lots of stuff to do before that that could
>> be shared and where we'd welcome help (see my other email...)
>
> It may also be worth getting in touch with the CentOS CI folks about
> those aspects: https://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/CI/GettingStarted

That page seems to say that for CentOS 7 they only support x86_64?

-n