[Distutils] CentOS5 is EOL, impact on manylinux1?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 01:10:38 EDT 2017

On 5 April 2017 at 11:12, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Bruno Alexandre Rosa
> <bruno.rosa at eldorado.org.br> wrote:
>> We would be very glad to help adding ppc support for manylinux3 :)
>
> I guess if we're going ahead and doing manylinux3 now, then we can
> probably roll in ppc support as part of the same process?

That was my main feedback on the draft manylinux3-for-ppc64le PEP:
it's so close to also covering the manylinux1 architectures that it
seems more sensible to me to just go ahead and fully define
manylinux3, rather than only doing the ppc64le bits and then needing
to somehow impose architecture restrictions at the PyPI and
installation tool level.

> The one
> major hiccup is that our current Travis-CI-based build pipeline won't
> work for ppc, but there's lots of stuff to do before that that could
> be shared and where we'd welcome help (see my other email...)

It may also be worth getting in touch with the CentOS CI folks about
those aspects: https://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/CI/GettingStarted

We're looking at that for CI on my current project after realising
that Travis CI probably wouldn't work for us [1] and it has some very
nice properties for this kind of thing:

- the build/CI environments are (or can be) bare metal, so they're
well suited to spinning up virtual machines with Vagrant
- the CentOS Vagrant boxes are pre-cached in the service infrastructure
- you have root on the box during a run, so you can use your config
management system of choice to set it up [2]

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://github.com/leapp-to/prototype/issues/10
[2] We're probably going to go with: 1) use curl to bootstrap pip; 2)
use pip to bootstrap upstream Ansible; 3) use Ansible to configure the
machine to run the tests