[Distutils] new PyPI: a rant from a package maintainer

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Fri Aug 4 18:22:54 EDT 2017

Donald, thanks for the thoughtful and complete reply to the original
poster.

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 3:52 PM Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Going through your text, there’s a mixture of things that sort of combined
> here, I’m kind of just going to stream of conscious reply to them here,
> because I can’t reply inline.

[...]

> > I must have missed the deprecation period that preceded the complete
> removal of the old APIs. A friendly email would have been nice if you
> expect me to migrate to a new solution.
>
> This is a hard balance to strike. When I have generated emails in the past
> I tend to get a slew of people berating me for sending them emails about
> things. Particularly for changes like this where there belief is that for
> most people, the impact should be minimal, if there is any at all. I do try
> to at least tweet and post to distutils-sig about possibly disruptive
> changes like this. For this specific change, that thread was at
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-June/030766.html.

 [...]

> > HTTPError: 400 Client Error: Invalid file extension. for url:
> https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/
>
> The ability to upload anything besides sdists, wheels, and eggs was
> deprecated and removed. You can read the PEP that removed them at
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0527/.

[...]

> > I try python setup.py bdist upload
>
> As I mentioned above, we deprecated/removed everything but sdist, wheels,
> and eggs as per PEP 527. We could probably do better error messages here
> though.

Has the team considered putting deprecation messages in the tools to warn
of these deprecations before they're removed?  A warning for the API
deprecations in pip or the underlying libraries, though not the perfect
solution, might go a long way towards informing users of impending changes.

Thanks, as always, for your efforts.

Sincerely,
e.