[Distutils] RFC: PEP 541 - Package Index Name Retention

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:22:37 EST 2017

On 17 Jan 2017 09:20, "Dariusz Suchojad" <dsuch at zato.io> wrote:

On 16/01/17 23:10, Robert Collins wrote:
> So, this proposition didn't really make sense to me. Folk like Linux
> distros will want the source, and you don't need to upload wheels :-
> setup.py could quite reasonably limit itself to software installation, vs
> configuration. Plenty of pip installable packages are not entirely ready
> use after pip installation.

Hi Robert,

I'm not clear if this was meant in reply to my email? I'm genuinely
perplexed.

I just don't know how to relate it to the suggestion I made in this message:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-January/030015.html

There are several sub-threads in this discussion and I'm not quite sure
what you mean.

Robert's referring to the fact that publishing a project sdist on PyPI can
be quite helpful to redistributors, even if "pip install zato" just
installs some helper libraries (or nothing at all) rather than a full Zato
instance.

Publishing at least a stub package with a README and setup.py that says
"Zato is not pip installable, see <url> for details" would also provide a
better experience for prospective users than a plain 404, provide the PyPI
maintainers with a clear  explanation of how the namespace entry is being
used, and the project with download metadata that gives an indication of
how often this mistake is being made, and hence whether or not it's an
installation method that might be worth supporting (even if it's just a
shim around a "docker pull" command).

Cheers,
Nick.