[Distutils] PEP 571: Any further manylinux2010 concerns or questions?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 22:23:18 EDT 2018

On 12 April 2018 at 21:54, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 March 2018 at 20:46, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> PEP link: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/
>>
>> Thomas Kluyver has amended Mark Williams's PEP 571 to address the
>> concerns & questions raised in the previous thread:
>>
>> * manylinux2 -> manylinux2010:
>> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/70cbfda06534aedd6372f489090fdc8e1062de6e#diff-ed6b6d5f928c15489fc02dca72f4b519
>> * using glibc 2.12 as a compatibility marker:
>> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/d43b984e021eddc11bdbc36863c5c285b473f8a7#diff-ed6b6d5f928c15489fc02dca72f4b519
>>
>> (We also dropped a potentially misleading aside that could be taken as
>> implying inaccurate limitations on Anaconda platform compatibility)
>>
>> As I expect quite a few folks will be busy for the Easter weekend, I'm
>> planning to accept the PEP a week from next Monday (i.e on April 9th)
>> if no new concerns or objections are raised between now and then :)
>
> With one small amendment [1] to appropriately credit Geoffrey Thomas
> and to provide a reference link for CalVer, I'm happy to report that
> I'm accepting the manylinux2010 specification :)

With the baseline ABI definition step out of the way, there's now the
non-trivial task of getting this baseline to the point where folks can
actually use it in practice to distribute pre-built binaries for their
projects: https://github.com/pypa/manylinux/issues/179

If you think I've missed any essential steps from that tracking issue,
or if there are other projects you think would be worth mentioning in
the "Other projects to consider..." section, please let me know,
either here, or on the issue.

Cheers,
Nick.