[Distutils] Fwd: Warehouse: package manager features & question about advertising

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Tue Feb 13 23:16:17 EST 2018

Forwarded from pypa-dev
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pypa-dev/xQb5RvDb5rc - the
weekly Warehouse update.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Warehouse: package manager features & question about advertising
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 23:15:10 -0500
From: Sumana Harihareswara <sh at changeset.nyc>

Here's your weekly update on Warehouse, powering the new PyPI.[0]

Perhaps the biggest news is that the pace of our progress is making us
optimistic; we expect to finish all the issues in the first milestone
next week, which means Warehouse will have all the essential features
package maintainers need.[1] When we get there, we'll be asking some
active maintainers to take some time and poke at the site (in the
browser and using the APIs) to let us know of any bugs or confusion.

In the past week, we've made a ton of progress on, for instance, viewing
releases[2] and managing user emails.[3] You can try those out right now
at the pre-production site.[4] And the PyPI footer has various policies
properly linked in the footer now -- thanks for your advice, PSF![5]
Plus, a fix to human-friendly time indicators.[6]

Also: Ever wonder how Twine is structured?[7] How does core metadata
with multiple email addresses look?[8] And we continued our work on
making our credentials handling for Kubernetes more robust.[9]

Part of our work is setting up Warehouse on a good foundation for future
work, so we spent some time sorting out stuff like: what API
documentation do we need?[10] There's a new GitHub label for issues that
ask: what APIs do we need?[11] And we restarted the discussion: How much
work should we put into Warehouse localisation?[12]

Luke Sneeringer volunteered to work on two-factor auth and PyPI API
keys, which is great![13]

As usual, the notes from our weekly meeting are on the Packaging Working
Group wiki.[14] We've also introduced an overview of Warehouse's
near-term progress using the GitHub "Projects" feature[15], in case you
want to see what we're working on and what's next in a bit more detail
than the roadmap.[16]

Folks who want to help: we have several good first contribution
issues[17] and a guide to getting started[18]. Also, as we prepare for
future publicity pushes, please let me know (replying offlist is
probably best): where should we advertise to reach occasional and
non-Anglophone programmers?[19]

Thanks to Mozilla and the PSF for their support for the PyPI & Warehouse
work![20][21]

[0] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/
[1] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/milestone/8
[2] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/2879