[Distutils] PyPI/Warehouse (short) weekly report: beta, pythonhosted docs, PEP 541

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Wed Mar 28 20:18:47 EDT 2018

(A short report this week that doesn't include as much detail about
merged PRs, infrastructure work, and so on, because I've been doing
stuff like writing to python-list/comp.lang.python to ask for
testing[1],  but next week's will have more.)
The new PyPI went to beta this week![2]

Now that PEP 541 is accepted, we are deciding on logistical stuff to
implement it and help deal with name transfer requests[3].
Cool things from the notes from the weekly Warehouse core developers'
meeting[4] include: if your PyPI project has docs already uploaded to
pythonhosted.org, you can now delete those docs[5]. (Further work on
docs transition is forthcoming.) And this week and next week some of our
team are busy with other projects, so code review and issue resolution
will be a little slower.
We have livechats coming up in Twitter & IRC[6] (next one is Friday the
30th), and tomorrow I hope to speak on the OpenNews community call[7] at
noon Eastern Time.
You can help this week by spreading the word[8] about the new PyPI beta
and testing it, by opining in our "needs discussion" issues[9], and by
just being your wonderful selves. Thank you for your help and kind words
through this whole process. It means a lot.
More soon!
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Warehouse project manager