[Doc-SIG] Clarification: interpreted text vs. directives vs. substitutions

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:15:15 -0000

... whole message deleted - see below! ...

Thanks - this was a good summary, both of where we are now and why we
are there. I'll even get to like inline substitutions soon (hah -
repetition as tuition [1]_).

As to the other two threads (the ones David split off to prevent
imminent head explosion) - thanks, I'll side with David there.

Tibs

.. [1] Anyone else here remember/know of the "teapot" joke on I'm Sorry
I'll
   Read That Again [2]_?
.. [2] Old British comedy series, from when I was a child - summary of
joke:
   if any phrase (*any* phrase) is repeated often enough, it will become
   funny [3]_ (I believe the normal statistic is about the third time
round).
   The instance in this case being the interjection of the word "teapot"
at
   random intervals, finally culminating in an audience rendered
helpless by
   constant repetition of the word.
.. [3] Something that any 5 or 6 year old is *quite* willing to believe!
   (and their parents less so).

Give a pedant an inch and they'll take 25.4mm
(once they've established you're talking a post-1959 inch, of course)