[Doc-SIG] Re: reST editor experiments...

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Tue Jul 15 21:58:49 EDT 2003

I apologize for not replying sooner.  I just realized that I haven't
been receiving Doc-SIG mail since June 26 when I reconfigured my email
forwarding address.

Dinu Gherman wrote:
 > I'm experimenting with a prototype reST editor on OS X,

Looks cool!  I'm wondering though, isn't it a bit CPU-intensive
to re-process the entire document with every keystroke? ;-)

Is the software itself available?  I use OS X and I'd like to give it
a try.

Are you aware of Gunnar Schwant's DocFactory?  It uses wxPython.
<http://docutils.sf.net/sandbox/gschwant/docfactory/doc/>

 > It's only a start, I'm just using docutils.core.publish_string(text,
 > writer_name='html'), but it raises for me several questions about:
 >
 > - changing the default CSS (or parts thereof)

Easy to do with runtime settings.  See "Configuration File Entries" in
<http://docutils.sf.net/docs/tools.html>, specifically "stylesheet"
and "stylesheet_path".  Runtime settings can be passed to Docutils
with "settings" (must be complete), "settings_overrides", and
"settings_spec" parameters to "publish_string".  (Some aspects of this
may change in the near future, when we overhaul config file & runtime
settings handling.)

Also the "Stylesheets" section of "Docutils Front-End Tools" (below
"html.py") may be useful.

 > - suppressing warning messages (e.g. about empty sections)

If the document processing was user-initiated, there would be a lot
less of this.  DocFactory handles system messages in a useful way.

 > - raising visual significance of warning messages (e.g. color, etc.)

That can easily be done with the stylesheet.  (If the top frame is
HTML output, and if it supports CSS stylesheets.)

--
David Goodger    http://starship.python.net/~goodger
For hire: http://starship.python.net/~goodger/cv