[Doc-SIG] Re: ``invisible`` reST-directive

Felix Wiemann Felix.Wiemann at gmx.net
Tue Jun 1 10:01:46 EDT 2004

David Goodger wrote:

> Felix Wiemann wrote:
>
>> I propose adding a new directive 'invisible' to the reST-syntax,
>> which translates to the already existing doctree element 'comment'.
>
> I don't like the name "invisible".  Why not "comment"?  There's a
> possible objection that it might be confused with admonition
> directives, like "note" and "caution", but I consider that to be
> minor.

For a reader unfamiliar with reST, 'comment' would be almost as
confusing as the existing '..' syntax.

'comment' is only appropriate when thinking of reST as a 'real'
language.  However, it's rather a simple markup syntax, and at least it
shouldn't look like a language (as opposed to LaTeX, for example).
Thus, 'invisible' describes more obviously what it does.

> And please, let's use another thread for the syntax discussion.

What syntax discussion?  Do you mean the naming?

--
When replying to my email address, ensure that the mail header contains
'Felix Wiemann'. Please don't send unrequested mails > 64 KB.

<http://www.ososo.de/>