[Doc-SIG] Video content in the standard library documentation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 6 21:31:30 EDT 2018

On 7 May 2018 at 05:49, Al Sweigart <al at inventwithpython.com> wrote:

> I definitely agree will all of Julien's points. Having a face is
> distracting, makes editing harder, and dealing with lighting/makeup to look
> good on camera is a pain.
>
> Also, the videos should be a *maximum* of 6 minutes in length. Philip Guo
> (creator of pythontutor.com and a CS professor at Rochester) has a great
> article on engagement rates for online course videos. Even with the
> concerns about engagement aside, short videos are easier to make and keep
> up to date.
>
> Something else to consider: Do we need videos? We could also consider
> using a webpage with one of those https://trinket.io/ in-browser
> interactive shells (though the PSF probably doesn't want to play favorites
> with any company.)

The PSF doesn't tend to view that kind of thing as playing favourites - if
we need to go beyond what a company offers in their baseline freemium
accounts, then the PSF staff and/or Board may be able to help arrange an
in-kind sponsorship, and set up a formal relationship with the vendor
accordingly (e.g. PyPI relies heavily on in-kind sponsorships, and that
gets recognised on https://www.python.org/psf/sponsorship/sponsors/).

If it's possible to avoid videos, while still providing screencast-style
content, that would be a good thing - while video playback on the web is
vastly better than it used to be

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Note also that the PSF has an existing technical relationship with
PythonAnywhere to power the inline interactive shell in the carousel at the
top of the python.org home page (click the yellow ">_" icon if you've never
seen that in action). So if folks can think of ways that relationship could
potentially be pursued further to help enhance the tutorial and other
documentation, that would be a discussion well worth having :)