[Doc-SIG] Russian translations for Python docs

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Tue May 14 04:54:12 EDT 2019

Hi Кристина !

> Learning Python docs I discovered that there is no Russian translation in free access.

Glad to have some news from the russian translation :)

The tutorial section is the resource starting with tutorial-- in transifex. it's not interchangable with language reference because translation is typically read by newcomers, which typically read the tutorial, no the language reference.

If you want to start syncing between transifex and github you can check how other translations did (the french one do not really use transifex so we're not syncing automatically, I can't really help here). Maybe Tomo Cocoa (in copy of this email) could help / document their (travis ?) cron.

Syncing to a python/python-docs-ru will only be usefull to start building the doc on docs.python.org, it can be done before reaching 100% of the tutorial though, just to have a visual preview of the build (which canbe done locally too).

So I think the timeline can go like this:
- Continue on transifex up to a big part of the tutorial being done
- Ask me to setup python/python-docs-ru
- Setup transifex sync on the repo
- We start building the doc on docs.python.org
- Reach the requirements from PEP 545 and when you feel ready we add Russian to the language picker.

A few things to mention:
- Transifex is not mandatory, only github as a meet-point, so if you prefer you can sync git with another tool of your choice, of simply use git (france, italy, and spanish IIRC are only using github)
- Do not translate alone, gather a community around it. Because it's a huge project (takes like 18 years alone translating 2 hours a day), so spreading the word around the russian community is a faster way to reach 100% translated than trying to translate yourself. In Paris we're doing a monthly workshop to gather more and more people around the translation.

A few years ago I found http://python-lab.ru/documentation/index.html, you may try to contact them to help in the translation project if not already done.

Bests,
--
Julien Palard