[Python Edinburgh] Tell us what you did with Python this year...

Mark Smith mark.smith at practicalpoetry.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 11:09:48 CET 2010

Probably the biggest personal project this year has been a library I've been
developing for a while, on and off, that generates ebook files in epub
format. Also a bunch of utilities for taking the HTML produced by OCR
software and turning it into 'semantic' markup using proper headings and
lists and things. The lxml library has been my constant friend in these two
projects, and has made the whole thing bearable, given that I don't like XML
very much.

The most recent 'project' was a script I wrote at the weekend that generates
crochet patterns for tori (donuts). I've uploaded a photo of the resultant
donut to Flickr[1]. The idea of writing code that results in a real world
object appeals to me. Now that I've got the basic logic down, I plan to
build a bunch of these scripts for generating geometric shapes in crochet,
and then web-enable it on appengine. Crochet CAD, here we come! (Yes, this
is a kinda weird project)

On the work side, I changed from a job that was primarily C++ to a job
that's primarily Python (or at least half-Python, half-Javascript).

Next year: I do whatever random thing appeals to me at the time, so apart
from plans to extend and open-source the epub library, I'll end up doing
whatever inspires me in the new year, and I'll probably be coding it in
Python... oh, and given that I have an Android phone and a Lego Mindstorm
set, I may well be playing with Cellbots[2].

[1]: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bedmondmark/5287166165/
[2]: http://www.cellbots.com/