[Edu-sig] Articles of possible interest

Steve Morris smorris@nexen.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:58:07 -0400 (EDT)

Arthur Siegel writes:
 > Steve Morris writes
 > > We don't want to encourage the stereotypes but if we ignore gender
 > > differences CP4E runs the risk of becoming CP4M.
 >
 > It all gets convoluted anyway your turn.
 >
 > Can a position that math and numeracy is a boy thing
 > and therefore CP4E with a numeracy slant is not gender friendly or
 > neutral be considered 'progessive'. Many women would find that
 > position objectionable.  Clearly the stories we tell - Stephen's stories -
 > can and should be either gender neutral or play both sides of the fence in
 > turn.
 > But I can't except that math itself is not a gender neutral subject.

Funny. I thought we were talking about programming and CP4E. I'm
addressing the issue of example applications for the lower grades. The
issue was contrasting a group of boys doing some 3D stuff and a group
of girls doing some Barbie thing. I know third graders best but assure
you that if you present a broad spectrum of example applications there
will be a difference between which have more girl appeal and which
have more boy appeal. Some will have a more balanced appeal and
perhaps we should try to understand and select for those. We won't do
that without understanding the difference.

As for Pokemon that is an excellent idea. Too many adults make their
decisions based on what they personally find offensive. Pokemon has
more cross gender appeal than most recent child fads. Adults see the
marketing and their adult cynicism kicks in but kids of both genders
love it. It gives them a world of secret knowledge. Trading the cards
develops communication and negotiation skills. The shows emphasize
virtues like honesty, integrity, helping your friends. The plots are
thin but the message is good. Look at it through a childs eyes and
stop with the automatic adult cynicism.

If a programming example merely had the word Pokemon in its name you
would be guaranteed at least a look from 90% of the K-4 set.

It ought to be easy to think of some Pokemon related thing. Kids would
love the idea of creating a Pokemon database (speaking of text
applications.) At its heart Pokemon is a database application, 152
different Pokemon each having various characteristics and
relationships to other Pokemon. The Pokemon heros carry around a
Pokedex which is merely a slick Pokemon database access tool and
communication device. The idea of a computer application is built into
the show. Build on it.