[Edu-sig] Programming for the fun of it

Don Hansford donh@halenet.com.au
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:08:47 +1000

On Tue, 12 Dec 100 12:30:12 +0000
"Alan Gauld" <agauld@crosswinds.net> wrote:

> >> * Fix the software you use
> >
> >Only if it's Open Source :-)
>
> We've already seen this stated but its not true.
> Most software packages nowadays contain macro capability
> and in the case of MS Office those macros are written in
> a programming language - VBA. Thus knowledge of programming
> frees the Office user of the restraints of the received
> code and allow them to "fix it" in the sense of writing
> their own versions of buggy features.

This is not a "fix" as such, merely a workaround

> So no, Open Source, wonderful tho' it may be, is not the
> only case where this topic applies. (And anyone who has
> written any sreerious VBA code knows that it is most
> definitely programming in the general sense! :)

Agreed :-)
It is a bit limited though.
At least with Open Source you can attack the actual problem, not just the symptoms.

--

This Email is 100% Virus Free!
How do I know? Because no Microsoft

Regards Don Hansford
ECKYTECH COMPUTING/
SQIT Warwick
<SuSE Linux 6.4>

"We're tired, we're wired, and our breath smells bad --
-But at least our Operating System doesn't suck!"