[Edu-sig] Software Engineering for everyone?

Dinu C. Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:05:23 +0100

Greg Ward wrote:

> (Yes, it *is* something that needs to be taught to prospective
> professional programmers as part of their undergraduate degree: the
> ability to write solid, maintainable code is at least as essential as
> the ability to understand quicksort.  Good coding practices are
> certainly the first step on the road to full-scale "software
> engineering", and good coding practices are something that CP4E should
> emphasise.  But there's no need to go all the way -- after C++, the best
> way to discourage people from programming is probably forcing them to do
> requirements analysis or write test suites.  *yaawn*)

I would consider this an interesting interpretation of the
concept of "extreme programming" ;-), but this is certainly
not what you mean, programming without testing, without know-
ing what you're trying to accomplish, is it?

The difference is a matter of scale and formalism, it is not
one of not doing something on one level (say, your homework
at school), but on another (say, a phone billing system).
Moreover, drawing the borderline might not be always easy to
do.

> Remember, the "E" stands for "everyone", and full-bore,
> industrial-strength "software engineering" is most definitely
> not for everyone.

I never forgot that. I just noticed that there are papers
being written at SEI that replicate some of the motivation
behind CP4E as you can read in my original posting.

> Dinu Gherman wrote:
>
> > Recognizing this I wonder if there would be any reason to
> > get in touch with SEI, or maybe not, given the fact (well,
> > rather my own estimate) that they are better known for a
> > solid, systematic, academic, engineering-like approach to
> > software development than for one more based on soft qua-
> > lities like playing, exploration, self-discovery?

The paragraph above which you have not cited, simply asks if
it would be reasonable to approach SEI? Then, I added some
concerns originated in SEI's "industrial professionalism"
image. I asked if there was anybody having contacts already.

Now I'm adding that SEI is most likely sitting on a huge pile
of money and might be willing to know how to spend it more
effectively. The question is, do we have something to offer?
I would firmly say: yes, we do! CP4E tries to raise the bar
for "everybody" (whatever that will mean in practice) to be-
come more literate in expressing some of his or her problems
in terms of programs/scripts/algorithms -- "in software", so
to say.

There's no reason to believe this will do any harm to SEI's
goals of getting companies and individuals to produce better
software systems, but there is *every* reason to believe that
CP4E will actually help them achieve their goals more quickly!

In this light I find it hard to believe there haven't been
contacts already. This is all I wanted to say.

Kind regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The thing about Linux or open software in general is that