[Edu-sig] How best to publish?...

Charlie Derr charlie@intelligenesis.net
Sat, 13 May 2000 19:39:09 -0400

~ >In order for this to be possible there needs to be a commonly used
~ >format for publishing this type of material!
~
~ I suppose -- but sounds like one of those elusive holy
~ grail type goals.  DocBooks sounds expensive/proprietary,
~ so that eliminates it as a candidate in my book.  If we're
~ really wanting to make user-friendly materials, we don't
~ go with a proprietary format.  And just because its called
~ XML doesn't make it non-proprietary, as any business can
~ customize its own tags for inhouse consumption.  It can
~ take a lot of work to translate between tag sets.

So why not work toward an open-source type of XML format that
can remain free?

	~c

(i don't know enough details about how to properly "license" a "format", so
forgive me if "open-source" is technically the wrong phrase  -  it should be
obvious what i mean :-])