[Edu-sig] Teaching Middle-School Math with Python

Steve Litt slitt@troubleshooters.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 12:15:35 -0400

Hi Fred,

Simple but interesting ---

In 7th grade the school genius told me what an algorithm is, and how to use
a slide rule to find it. The next few months I took my slide rule (now you
know how ancient I am) and "fooled around" with it. I invented an
arithmetic process I called "infra-addition", which if I remember was A
infraadd B = log(A+B), and delighted in graphing it etc. (simple minds,
simple pleasures). Around that time my Dad taught me to make a
multiplication chart, and my 8th grade teacher taught us about base 8 and
base 16 arithmetic, after which I made multiplication charts for everything
from 2 to 16.

I guess what I'm getting at is if a child is made curious enough, a
calculator will suffice in providing him with days of simple but
interesting math.

Steve