[Edu-sig] Observations from the Northwest Science Expo

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:37:30 -0700

>  So why do so many people insist that schools teach Excel, or Word,
>  or Powerpoint for example?  Shouldn't the real focus be on teaching
>  number theory, problem solving, language composition and cognitive
>  perception?
>
>I'm beginning to wonder how much benefit computers actually add to
>the learning process?  I'd welcome a discussion on the topic by those
>who are effectively utilizing computers in their curriculum today.
>
>Thanks for the bandwidth.
>
>Tom O.

This is a good analysis and "connect the dots" presentation.

I might draw different conclusions though, e.g. the ineffective
use of computer technology points to a need for more, not less,
training it its use.

Perhaps CP4E offers a better approach, in that it gets students
more deeply under the hood of their computers, vs. having them
rely so entirely on "wizard" style apps which "do everything
for you".  They learn to drive with a manual shift first.

Tufte's (which you mention) is of course the classic in this
field. He takes a no-nonsense approach and advocates eliminating
"chart junk" -- lots of extra noise and clutter which maybe
appears "slick" to the aesthetically un-initiated, but which
actually gets in the way of communicating the data.

Given computers, there's a need to bring this "plain speech"
aesthetic into the classroom, as an antidote to all the bells
and whistles which students are tempted to include simply because
they can.

I think cutting out the computer training leaves students more
helpless than ever, went suddenly plunked down in front of
Microsoft Office XXXX and told to produce "presentation graphics"
for the boss.  If only they'd had a good teacher in high school
who (a) showed them the ins and outs and (b) laid down some
sensible aesthetic guidelines.

Kirby