[Edu-sig] Switching gears...

Morris, Steve smorris@cereva.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:14:37 -0500

Funny you should say so. I have a similar reaction when trying to help my
5th grader with math. Unfortunately I don't have the option of giving up on
the teachers. I have to work around them. I'm beginning to hate the "Chicago
curriculum" even though the only thing I know about it is the math problem
sheets that get sent home. The biggest problem is the stone wall that
appears whenever I try to get more information about the curriculum so I can
try to anticipate. The teachers treat me like an adversary that they need to
handle with kid gloves but for sure don't give any real information to. They
are polite but unhelpful. I'm afraid to push because of potential adverse
reaction towards my student child.

Sorry for the off topic rant but I am at wits end. I watch my 5th graders
motivation trickle away daily. I think I understand how to make math clear
and interesting but all my energy is wasted trying to compensate for the
weakness of his classroom work. I was hoping to give him an edge but instead
am trying not to lose him altogether.

Oh well, maybe next years teacher will be better.