[Edu-sig] WordNet

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:32:49 -0800 (PST)

I don't know if anyone's seen this already: Princeton's Cognitive Science
Lab has been developing a very nice project called WordNet:

    http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/

It's an extremely nice dictionary-like program that also shows relations
between words.  Python bindings for WordNet have been written here:

    http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~steele/sources/wordnet-python.html

What interests me about it is that it lets me play around with words
effortlessly, and it's definitely one of the tools that I regularly use.
It would be interesting to see if WordNet could be used in a CP4E
curriculum --- it would offer a change of pace from doing "mathy" stuff,
and it would allow students to explore a natural language with a computer
language.