[Edu-sig] Python in the ACM ICPC

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Tue, 1 May 2001 23:37:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 1 May 2001 rob@jam.rr.com wrote:
> We allow people to provide solutions to ACM Programming Contest
> problems, which must be submitted in other languages such as Perl and C
> when submitting to the contest judges. We do not judge the submissions,
> but post them for the world to see. When I contacted the people behind
> the ACM site, I was told that they were delighted to hear about it and
> if we could provide a Python judge (which I took to mean software
> similar to that which they already use), they would be willing to add
> Python to the list of possible submission languages.

I am extremely excited to hear about this.  I think Python should
be one of the permitted languages (and it would instantly clean all
the other teams' clocks, if i do say so myself).  I'm familiar with
the programming contest because i was on the Waterloo team a few
years ago.  We won, but we had a *major* advantage in that we chose
to use vi and cc rather than Microsoft Visual C++, and i'm sure that
if we'd had Python we would have done even better.

Can you put me in touch with your ACM contact?  I would like to make
this happen.

Thanks!

-- ?!ng