[Edu-sig] Intro and question: assignments/projects for year end

David Scherer dscherer@vysics.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:02:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Sheila King wrote:

> I must've given a pretty convincing speech about Python, because 10 of my 17
> students picked to do Python. I was surprised. I thought most of them would want
> to do a graphics project.

Why not do both?  For example, look at VPython:

  http://cil.andrew.cmu.edu/projects/visual

This is used, among other places, in a freshman physics class (Matter &
Interactions).  Some of the students have no programming experience at
all, but all are writing 3D physical simulations after two 1 hour lab
sessions.  I think APCS students should be able to do a few interesting
things with it in 2 weeks.

Of course, the other suggestions people have made sound very
interesting also.

Dave