[Edu-sig] Python Briefing for Faculty

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 07:44:41 -0700

Yes, we agree.  And I've downloaded and am using Scintilla now
too, and I think I'm going to like it.

Most of my curriculum writing around Python depends on the
student importing modules and then interacting with them.

"Advanced calculator" might be the term, but it's what
Scheme, APL, Logo, Xbase and many other languages feature
-- a shell.  Basically, it's a way to get the user freedoms
of event driven programming without having to write a
fancy GUI (take advantage of the one you already have).

  >>> getfactors(100)
  [2,2,5,5]

... stuff like that.

>From a beginner/learner/first language point of view,
I think having a shell is a tremendous asset.  If you
can't go:

  >>> 1 + 1
  2

or (+ 1 1) in Scheme, then I don't think it's very
suitable, at least not for the math-through-programming
curriculum type stuff I'm developing.

Kirby

<<SNIP>>

As already mentioned, it depends on your habbits.

Regards, Markus