[Edu-sig] IDLE and VPython

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Sun, 13 May 2001 18:38:36 -0700

On Sun, 13 May 2001 00:21:35 EDT, Arthinator@aol.com  wrote about [Edu-sig] IDLE
and VPython:

:Noting Sheila's problem discussed on the Python list and here re: VPython
:installation breaking stuff for her;

Yes, I'm going to show it to my students on Monday. If any are interested, I
will install it for them, but I don't relish having to re-install the Python 2.0
IDLE again, afterwards.

:Finally, not understanding what of significance running in its own Process
:Space brings to the table for standard IDLE, and certainly feeling that other
:than that single issue the VPython forked IDLE adds nothing essential to
:VPython's use for educational purposes.

When I run a script using Tkinter or VPython in IDLE 0.6, and then exit the
script, my IDLE session ends also. This doesn't happen with the version of IDLE
that comes with VPython. Also, rather than having the output of my script come
up in the interactive shell, VPython's IDLE sends the output to a separate
window.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/