[Edu-sig] Re: [Visualpython-users] updated KineticsKit

Andrew Morrison morrison@physics.niu.edu
Tue, 22 May 2001 16:35:21 -0500 (CDT)

Forgive my ignorance, please (I am only beginning to understand Python) but
I am having trouble installing your package.

On my linux system I unzipped everything into
/usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages and a KineticsKit/ directory was
created where everything was put.   When I try out your examples I get
some errors that look like this:

[morris@domra examples]$ python2.0 exa04_the_cube.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "exa04_the_cube.py", line 1, in ?
    from KineticsKit import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/KineticsKit/__init__.py", line
12, in ?
    from system import System
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/KineticsKit/system.py", line 20
    self.display = visual.display(title=name, **keywords)
                                               ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I don't know much about python2.0, since I have been learning using 1.5,
so maybe that is most of my problem. Although, I do know that VPython is
working with 2.0...

Thanks for the help!

Andrew Morrison