[Edu-sig] Python for Fun

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 02:10:40 -0400

> Actually, Zope still uses Python 1.5.x for much the same reasons: lots of
> code to evaluate.  The next release will be for 2.0, I think.  Likewise,
> wxPython and VPython were running on 1.5 until recently, so there should
> either be a 1.5 branch of the current version, or an older install which
> will work for you to play with.  RedHat Linux (and others, I'm sure) still
> seems to be shipping/using 1.5 (RedHat uses Python for their installer and
> lots of utilities), and it has a tremendous installed base, so lots of
folks
> still support it in their tools.

Considerable effort now under way to bring and Python into sync - looking
like Zope 2.4 with Python 2.1. On Windows Zope installs with its own Python
included. So I gather that starting from Zope 2.4 this will include Python
2.1

Meanwhile Python 1.5.2 appears to be the default, most widely installed etc.
Looks like 6-9 months of mild versionitis up ahead until Python 2.1 [or
later] becomes richly used and the fully supported reference.

Since installing Python is so easy I do not see there is much problem. The
admin issue is keepiing up with the upgrades in a clean quick manner.
Particualrly all the additional modules one has. Zope now has an
$INSTANCE_HOME variable one can asign to different directory, located
whrever you wish,to store any the non-standard modules, Zope 'products' etc.
This is a big improvement. Convenient, maintainable, flexible.

How do you recommned smooth handling of Python modules placement, path
assignment, for miminimizing upgrade pain. ? I usually use brute copy and
paste of folders, then fix any version errors when prompted. But it is messy
and makes me feel dumb.

./Jason