[Edu-sig] text compression as a learning tool

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 19:40:22 -0500 (CDT)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to come up with some more comprehensive projects to supplement my
Python class for next fall. I'm definitely going to do a little "clubhouse
crypto" (thanks Kirby and Neal Stephenson for picquing my interest).

Before undertaking my own study of text/data compression, I'd like to get
the opinions of the list members here about whether you think this could be
an appropriate subject for beginning to intermediate Python programmers.

Any particular references to compression algorithms or other background
materials?

Other thoughts?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.org