[Edu-sig] text compression as a learning tool

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@panix.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 21:21:52 -0700

Not what you are asking for and it's not crypto..

There is a cool Python API for WordNet - fascinatating in its own right and
could open up a different kind of crypto based on larger granularity of text
chunks, meanings and associations. It might be challenging and enlightening
to deal programatically with the English language while learning to
speak and think in the Python language.

http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~steele/sources/wordnet-python.html

<quote>
The wordnet.py module is a Python interface to the Wordnet 1.6 database.
WordNet is a database of word meanings and lexical relationships, such as
synonym, antonym, hypernym ("poodle"->"dog"), and hyponym ("poodle"->"dog").
wordnet.py presents a concise interface to WordNet, that allows the user to
type expressions such as N['dog'], hyponyms(N['dog'][0]), and
closure(ADJ['red'], SYNONYM) to query the database.
</quote>

./Jason