[Edu-sig] Writing a web server

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 18:41:39 -0500

Brent wrties -

>How's this for a possible 9th/10th grade course:
>* Web Programming with Python - Students will program a fully-functioning
>website from scratch.  Students will choose from building an interactive
>storybook where the reader influences the outcome of the story, or a
>web-community site with a message board and voting booth.  No prior
>programming experience necessary.

> etc.

I strongly agree that this kind of approach will have kids sitting
up straight in their chairs..  Would have me sitting up straight
in my chair.  Wish I had more time to spend  with the
web based toolset provided with and by Python - not so much
to do a site, but to get a decent peek under the hood of Internet
technology.

Months ago I talked about my niece showing off the radio
she built from a kit - coiling wires around a tube etc.

Kids curiosities are exactly what you expect them to be - how
does the stuff around me work.  Conways Game of Life is
interesting enough, but does not speak to kids fundamental
curiosity.

The problem is that any discussion of Web and education seems
to quickly become  A Project - building some sophisticated web-based
infra-structure/learning environment.  And building a few reputations
in the process.

Taking something as simple as SimpleServer and making it, if anything,
simpler - as you are suggesting - building ones own Web with coiled
wires, is the truly  revolutionary approach and where the gold is, IMO.

ART,