[Edu-sig] Teaching students to use CVS

Dethe Elza dethe@burningtiger.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:54:47 -0800

Hi Tim,

I haven't tried teaching CVS to students, just co-workers, but when I
discovered it my first thoughts were, "I wish someone had showed me this
in school, it would have saved me a LOT of time and trouble."

Too many times of overwriting my working version in the heat of coding,
or accidently deleting the work I'd struggled so long with because I
was too tired to know what I was doing.  I would often save everything
into a dated directory, but there was no context to it, so if I did have
to go back to an older version (assuming I'd saved the one I ended up
needing, which was rare), I had few clues to which one.

CVS has its faults, but it's orders of magnitude better than not using
any revision system at all.  And after struggling with the
idiosyncracies of SourceSafe I liked CVS even more %-)

So, no real tips, but I think it's a great idea.

--Dethe

--

Dethe Elza (delza@burningtiger.com)
Chief Mad Scientist