[Edu-sig] Teaching python to non-CS students

Catherine Letondal letondal@pasteur.fr
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:56:12 +0100

chester_b wrote:
> > is a good resource that you can pool for material, and it lists a few
> > tutorials for the beginning Bioinformatician or Physicist:
> >
> >     http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/sis/formation/python/
> >     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/handbook/
> >
> > The first has more substantial examples with Biopython.
> Excellent. Do you happen to know where bioinformatics fits into a biology
> curriculum? It is something that a first year student would learn, or is a
> more advanced topic?

It is a more advanced topic. As far as I know, biology students start
learning bioinformatics (which, by far, not always programming, but also
using and understanding analysis software) when they become graduate or
maybe in the 3rd or 4th year of the University (sorry, I'm not familiar
with US university cursus).

--
Catherine Letondal -- Pasteur Institute Computing Center