[Edu-sig] Python resources for education

Michael Williams michael.williams@st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:30:43 +0000

On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 01:25 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:
> Hi one and all.
>
> Are there any teachers on the list who have actually developed
> materials for
> use in the classroom with secondary school children?

There are plenty! Jeff Elkner wrote up his experiences here:
<http://www.python.org/workshops/2000-01/proceedings/papers/elkner/
pyYHS.html> and I wrote mine up here:
<http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python> (although my course was with
first year undergrads).

> If you have any suggestions on how I can use Python in the classroom
> and /
> or any tutorials or resources you would like to share please let me
> know.

http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html and
http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/ are riddled with links to course
material of a suitable level. Of particular interest to your course are:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/
http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/

all of which are bona-fide course textbooks. Of them Livewires is the
only one specifically aimed at your age group (12-15), so has the tone
associated with that audience, but all of them are for people new to
programming so could be used/adapted.

--
Michael