[Edu-sig] re: Typed arrays (not about div)

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:25:31 -0400

Kirby -

>Same issue, yet very clearly this has nothing whatever to do with the
behavior of div, either way.

Thanks for the change in subject line anyway.

But yikes and duh. What is so difficult about the point that I am trying to
make and you keep walking right past. A point that I am willingly to say
that I am blowing out of proportion, that I am missing for the trees, that
have misweighed and misjudged.  Once you tell me you see that it is there.

1/2 = 0 brings us to attention that there is numeric typing and that it
matters.  And reminds us of it now and again. And we go from there to deeper
matters if and when they arise.  With less surprise.

>To bring div into it only confuses the issue. 'a' is being coerced to an
int:

*I* am not bringing div into the behavior of typed arrays.  Why the hell
would I.  What I said was:

>Huh? under new "/"
>ouch - I should have seen that coming under old "/"

The "fun" I keep referring to is the fun of making the whirlygig go 'round.

What I am pointing to here is a practical point of the most fundamental
kind.  It *doesn't* make me right about the "/" operator.  But you keep
telling me you have *no* idea what I am saying, and I can't understand why.

Art