[Edu-sig] Fw: Python sequences by reference - how to make clear

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:55:00 -0400

Guido writes:

> The usual way to make a case for a language (or library) feature is to
> show a simple but recognizably common coding fragment that would have
> been made clearer or easier to write (etc.) when the proposed feature
> is present.

Is it fair for me to suggest that this is not a situation that lends itself
to this kind of approach.

Trying to introspect on one's own learning experience perhaps brings into
play factors that are truly intangible, but no less real.

What it boils down to is just a few questions:

My experience is sincerely reported, or it is not.

I am properly understanding that experience, or I am not.

My experience can be generalized, or it can not.

My suggestion is intutively sensible, or it is not.

I am not unwillingly to try to do better than not, but I don't see how to
conform any such effort into the methodology you suggest.

Art.