[Edu-sig] Re: [Visualpython-users] re: Close, but no cigar

Bruce Sherwood basherwo at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Aug 9 21:11:58 EDT 2003

You are correct that Guido wants the default to be that IDLE start in
the shell, not in an edit window, and he is not comfortable with the
autosave feature, but IDLE does have features for changing these
behaviors, both of which come from the VPython project and were
innovations implemented by Dave Scherer. This is why the VPython
installer instructions say very explicitly that these defaults are
reversed by this installer, and alerts users to this. There was some
discussion during the long idlefork development that the way to
customize IDLE could include changing config-main.def, which was to be
considered a legitimate move. That's how I knew how to achieve this effect.

For a huge number of users of VPython known to me (hundreds of students)
it is important that IDLE start in an edit window and do autosaves. I've
tried in various forums to explain what data these decisions are based
on, and I won't repeat all of that here. I've prominently documented in
the installer instructions what the situation is, and it is easy for a
user to change it (and I'm open to improved wording of this). It makes
sense to put a minor burden on the more sophisticated user rather than
on the less sophisticated user (the latter alternative would be to start
in the shell and disable autosave, but explain in the installer how to
change this; abundant experience with users new to Python shows that the
fewer the instructions the better, by a lot). By the way, all users will
see the shell, because that's what the output window is.

Arthur, I do appreciate your writing up your concerns. I think you're
right in your previous note to say that the desktop icon should be "IDLE
for VPython" as it was when using the predecessor to the new IDLE, or
some such, and I'll be happy to change it. I was a bit wary of this name
because it could perhaps be misconstrued as claiming all of the new IDLE
as a product of the VPython effort, which it is only in part. Maybe you
or someone can come up with a better icon name (something like "IDLE -
VPython demos", although you have to do an Open to get a demo). I'll
wait a few days to see what suggestions crop up. Thanks.

Bruce Sherwood